Growing Together is a team of Early Literacy Resource Consultants working with families and agencies to make sure that all children within Huron County are able to participate in community child care programs.
Working with the child, his or her family, and licensed child care staffs, Early Literacy Resource Consultants provide:
- Assessment and screening of the child's development
- Hands-on assistance with teaching skills
- Modeling techniques for caregivers
- Co-ordination of services including program registration
- Assistance for families so their child can make an easy transition to other programs and schools
The Growing Together program is available to:
- Children aged 0-6 with special needs, including developmental, physical, communicative, or social and emotional difficulties
- Children aged 6-12 identified with special needs and currently registered in school age programs
- Licensed child care providers requiring support in looking after a special needs child
Early Literacy/Resource Consultants are available to see your child at your home, a licensed child care program, an Early Years program, or a licensed or private babysitter's.
Participants in this program may be referred by a community agency, Family Doctor or Speech Pathologist, or staffs from the Huron County Health Unit, Ontario Early Years Centre, or licensed child care provider. Families are also encouraged to contact Resource Consultants directly.
To access, or refer a child to this service, an online referral form is available, or you may contact the program at 519.482.8505. Completed forms can be faxed to 519.482.5710.
There is no cost for this service; it is publicly funded through the Ministry of Children and Youth Services.