BULLETIN: Emergency Preparedness - Prepare Now, Learn How...
Emergencies and disasters can happen at any time. Utilities can be out, roads closed and crucial supplies unavailable. While local, provincial and federal officials prepare for emergencies, individuals can plan to be prepared at home and at work. Everyone should be prepared to take care of themselves, and their families for up to three days in the event of an emergency or disaster. It could take that long to clear roads, restore hydro or remove fallen trees due to a severe winter storm.
The following are recommended guidelines to assist you in gathering items you should have on hand. Everyone in your family should know where these items are stored.
EMERGENCY SURVIVAL CHECKLIST
*Three Day Supply Per Person*
- Flashlight & batteries
- Radio & batteries or crank radio
- Spare batteries (for radio or flashlight)
- First-aid kit
- Candles & matches/lighter
- Extra car keys & cash
- Important papers (identification)
- Water - At least four litres per person per day.
- Food - Canned foods, crackers/biscuits, instant coffee & tea, peanut butter/jam/honey/syrup, sugar.
- Clothing & footwear
- Blankets or sleeping bags
- Toilet paper & other personal items
- Whistle (to attract attention, if needed)
- Playing cards
- Fuel Stove & Fuel (do not use a BBQ indoors)
- Backpack/duffel bag (to hold all of the Emergency Survival Kit items
Think of the special needs of your family and includes any other items you would need. Here are some suggestions:
- bottled milk
- formula & food
- toys, crayons & paper
Other Family Members
- week supply of medication
- extra eye glasses
- batteries for medical appliances
- extra oxygen cylinder (if required)
- three day supply of food & water
GET THIS INFO & GET PREPARED
Get these guides at the North Huron Municipal Office:
- Be Prepared Not Scared
- Winter Power Failures
- Lets Plan for the Unexpected
- Winter Driving
For additional information contact:
Township of North Huron
(519) 357-3550 or visit www.emergencymanagementontario.ca